Pages

Saturday 22 December 2012

Mincemeat


This recipe is surprisingly simple. But I didn’t stick to it because the writer says you can improvise! 

So that’s what I did.

The thing is, is that by the time I had “improvised” it didn’t resemble her recipe in the slightest. 
Here are the changes I made.

1.       I didn’t have any currents so instead of 125g of raisins and 150g of currents, I just did 200g raisins.
2.       I didn’t have any stem ginger just crystallised stuff that comes in a jar from the last recipe so I used that instead.
3.       I added in 8 glace cherries because my mum has always used glace cherries and it would be weird without them
4.       I used an orange not a lemon- I thought it was more festive
5.       I didn’t like the sound of suet (meat in pudding-weird) so I used 2 apples instead of 1 to make up for it.
6.       I used mixed nuts no almonds because well just because…
7.       I added in some ginger syrup from the jar as the mixture wasn’t really a mixture it was just a bowl full of stuff and I thought it would help it to stick together.
8.       I put it on the hob for a while although she just says to leave it overnight, which I am still going to do.
9.       I also added in some dried blueberries which I realised after I had mixed them in that they had a best before date of 2010…. So that’s healthy

So in a way it is not really Annie Bell’s mincemeat recipe any more, it’s mine. I will tell you how it tastes in the next recipe which is…. (this will surprise you)

Next Recipe: Mince Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment