Pages

Tuesday 4 December 2012

How do you make a Swiss Roll?


Push him down a hill… or not…

What I didn’t realise was that a Swiss Roll is not made of Victoria sponge. WHO WOULD HAVE KNOWN? The sponge (a genoise apparently) is made of no butter and very little flour and I have to say it makes the coolest cake mix I have ever seen.

It is a white, fluffy, airy mass which is similar to meringue mix and it looks pretty damn cool.

So after getting over the initial shock of the cool-ness of the cake mix it was baked and it became immediately less cool… it just looks like sponge…

I rolled it in tea towel- let it cool and then re-rolled it with jam which had to be mixed so it would be more liquidy (not a word). Weird.


Anyway it turned out okay. It wouldn’t be sold in the window of a French patisserie but it was yummy enough for me and the family. So that’s good (or cool).

Next Recipe: Chocolate Orange Macaroon Torte 

No comments:

Post a Comment