Pages

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Chocolate Orange Macaroon Torte

Last weekend was Christmas in my household, well a mini one anyway as some relatives won’t be here for the real thing.

Anyway for this reason I decided to try and bake something that was festive but not the typical Christmas cake or pudding as those will be eaten in a few weeks’ time.  So the next most Christmassy food (bar sprouts and turkey) is of course the Chocolate Orange.

If you have never had one of these at Christmas you need to sort yourself out. Seriously.

So the chocolate orange macaroon torte seemed like a good bet. It is basically a chocolate orange mousse on a macaroon and as I have never made a mousse or a macaroon it was all new to me!

It was actually relatively simple, there was a lot of whipping involved (thank the lord for electric whisks, is all I can say) and after that you just kind of plop the mousse on the macaroon that I made earlier and put it in the fridge over night to set.

However….. I don’t think I did it completely right….

The macaroon base was quite moist but the author describes it as being firm…. So that is obviously not right. I don’t really know what went wrong consistency wise but the taste was good despite being quite adult as the chocolate was 70% cocoa. But it was good and the orange really came through.


I decorated it with orange peel because I felt it would add a bit of colour to a very brown pudding 
make it more jolly! 

Next Recipe: Ginger, Almond and Fig Meringue Cake 

No comments:

Post a Comment