Pages

Saturday 6 July 2013

How to: Egg Separate

This is the first "how to" post but I am aiming to include a lot more in the future, of recipes, icings etc. But I thought that I would start with a simple method: egg separating.

Knowing how to separate eggs is a useful and versatile skill which I have to admit I was intially very scared of. My morher does it the egg shell to egg shell method which seems a lot harder and a lot more scary. This way was shown to me by my friend's mum and I find it a lot easier even if it involves more washing up.

All you need is two bowls a plate and an egg cup. Mine is a soldier called Egbert (witty I know), it has two pieces which is very useful. And obviously you need an egg.


STEP 1
Crack your egg carefully onto the plate without breaking the yolk.


STEP 2
Place your egg cup over the yolk. This is where the two parts of Egbert come in handy as they are different sizes so can be used on different sized yolks. 


STEP 3
Keeping your finger firmly on the top of the egg cup, lift the plate and slant it so the egg white slides off the plate and into one of the bowls. Move the egg cups position in order to make sure all the egg white goes in to the bowl.


STEP 4
You then tip the egg yolk in to the egg cup and into the other bowl. Repeat as many times as necessary for your recipe. 

I needed three for my next recipe: A Summer Berry Genoise

No comments:

Post a Comment