Pages

Sunday 6 January 2013

Poinsettia Cake


Poinsettias are a traditional Christmas flower popular in festive films etc. and the only reason this cake has the name that it does is because it is iced with poinsettia shaped things on top. Well it’s supposed to… mine didn’t really but on to that later.

The sponge itself has no flour and the flour is replaced by ground hazelnuts and almonds. The other ingredients it contains apart from sugar, butter, egg etc. are cinnamon and other spices, which also add to the festive theme of the cake.

During the making of the cake there was a bit of drama as my brother was trying to assist me in the most unhelpful way possible as there was little time so in the end I screamed at him. He had thrown in more ground nuts which turned out to be what the cake needed but I didn’t know how much he had added, or how much we needed, or how much was already in there.

It was nuts (pun intended).                                            

Anyway I then had to make the butter cream which for some bizarre and unknown reason to me contained custard and as hard as I tried it didn’t want to be butter cream consistency. So I tried again. Still no luck. So I filled the cake with apricot jam which I had to cover the cake anyway for the icing to stick to.

Back to the icing. The poinsettias with the aid of my friend ended up looking like sea creatures but I refuse to take full responsibility for that as my friend did contribute a lot to it.  Anyway you can make up your own minds.

Next Recipe:  Saratoga Torte

No comments:

Post a Comment