Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Lebkuchen

 For Christmas I got these really cool biscuit cutters, yes biscuit cutters can be cool, and they print words into the biscuit.  One of them is square with “eat me” and the other is heart shaped with “homemade”. So I felt that they kind of had to be used.

Lebkuchen are German biscuits which are very similar to gingerbread except the fact that they don’t have ginger in them. The main ingredient is honey and is full of spices like cinnamon and other festive flavours.

Annie Bell makes them for her Christmas tree but thanks to the new biscuit cutters, I decided not to bother with that. I also didn’t ice them as I felt it was unnecessary.

An interesting fact about the biscuits, if you are considering making them, is that they get better if you leave them in an air tight box for a couple of days.  They stay crisp in the box and the flavour gets stronger. Also dip them in milk for extra yumminess.

Next Recipe: Poinsettia Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment